Tiferes chooses high quality straps from Kanfei Yonah, a factory headed by Rabbi Aharon Weissman, who is known for his professional and honest standards. The top quality straps are handmade and are under the strict supervision of Rabbi Moshe Klein Shlit"a. Tiferes offers the same prices as the factory and a warranty.
The quality of tefillin straps is determined by the quality of the materials and the production process. Choosing quality straps that will be both comfortable and durable requires expertise and experience. The advantage of purchasing from a wholesaler rather than the manufacturer is that the former is not out to sell the entire stock and he can choose the finest product for the client. It is recommended to work with a wholesaler who identifies quality tefillin straps according to the following criteria:
Each piece of leather is different than the next, and even if they undergo the same process, the finished product will differ. Leather taken from a female, young, or malnourished animal is of inferior quality and wears quickly. Leather from local animals is fatty (and may also involve the prohibition of using firstborn animals).
Tiferes chooses fine leather taken from the backs of adult bulls from overseas.
Processing leather requires a high level of expertise. This art is continuously researched in the world at large, and "leather engineers" indeed achieve a highly professional level of production. On the other hand, modern technology has facilitated shorter and more economical ways to manufacture leather straps, but while they look nice, they do not last long.
Tiferes chooses professionally processed and highly durable straps.
1. Inquire about the manufacturer's integrity and the supervising rabbi.
2. Tug at the strap to ensure that it is sturdy and doesn't stretch.
3. Fold the strap inwards and check that it does not show many creases.
4. Rub the opposite side of the strap and make sure it is smooth, and sturdy, and not soft, crumbly, and hairy.
5. Consult with experts before each purchase, and you will slowly acquire intuition and experience.